Converting A/C Manifold Gauges to R134a

This topic contains 3 replies and was last updated by mrdiedel 7 years 8 months ago
September 8th, 2013 6:51pm
I have a set of Air conditioning manifold gauges set up for R12 use. I would like to know if I can get adapters/conversions to make them useable for R134a.

Which brand(s) do you like?

Which brands do you avoid?
September 18th, 2013 8:26pm
I bought a MAC set and they were ok had issues with the manifold valves comeing lose so after a few times warrantying them I just traded them in on a Snap-on set and they have a LED read out for the HI/LO sides and they will go down past 15micron and that was just a plus to go along with my micron gauge. I took my old r12 set and use that for PSI testing radiators and the cooling system.
November 10th, 2013 11:13am
The first converstion adapter set I got was the Mastercool MAS98370. They are "economy" couplers and they did not work well at all. I ran into issues with the depth of the coupler. Apparently, even though R134 couplers are standardized there are different depths of couplers available, 18mm and 13mm. This set was not deep enough for some of the R134 fittings. Currently, I use the Robinair 18192 set and I have not encountered any compatibility issues. They are a little more expensive, but good quality. I might have needed some 1/4 flare male/female adapters also. The Carquest R12 manifold set has worked well for R134. About the only thing I did to convert it was flush out the manifold set and change the couplers.
November 10th, 2013 9:14pm
Thanks, it's good to know about the depth issues. I think I'll just go with the Robinair because they always seem to offer quality products.

Reply to: Converting A/C Manifold Gauges to R134a